Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Speaking of Facinations...




I have a fascination ~ a love of textiles. I have heaps of them. In all the places that I have visited, I have scoured the markets and countryside for beautiful items to add to my ever growing stash. The pieces of my collection fill cupboards, closets, and drawers. My favorites have been framed and are hanging throughout my house. An antique vest from Sumatra with such fine workmanship and artistry that a hundred years of disregard could not cover up the splendor. A beautiful but crumbling head wrap from Bali hangs in my bedroom ~ I awake many mornings enjoying the intricacy of the batik pattern wondering about the artist and the individual that first wore it many many years before it found its way to me.
The pictures above are antique Chinese baby carriers. As you can imagine - I simply must find one and add it to my treasures. Can you imagine having something so beautiful to carry around your most valued - most precious child.
Ergo carriers might be better on the back and budget... but this carrier is definitely much better on the eyes and on a sentimental heart!

No comments: