Tuesday, November 11, 2008

My Husband, My Veteran

Today is the day that we honor every person that serves our country. There is one special veteran that I hold especially near and dear to my heart. I have watched him serve our country for many many years now... I have never known someone that gives of himself as much as Joe.

My son asked me this morning if his dad was a veteran ~ he wasn't sure because his dad does not fight. Oh little man, you have so much to learn! What I told him.... "Daniel, your dad fights every single day. He fights for peace. He fights for those less fortunate that need aide and assistance during crisis. He fights for freedom for everyone in a very special way... a way that leads to peace instead of war... he fights for understanding and diplomacy. When you are older, you will understand that this fight is the most difficult of all". Daniel is now writing a report about his favorite veteran for English Class.
I am overwhelmed with pride when I think about everything I have witnessed Joe do. From mentoring young soldiers under his charge, negotiating and attending the release of an American Hostage in Indonesia, to being one of the first on the ground in Aceh after the Tsunami, Joe's military career has so many stand out moments. I could go on and on about this man but I am sure I would just embarrass him!

The most amazing thing to me, is that all the while he was doing his job, he was building our family. He is an amazing father and has made my (sometimes really crazy) dreams come true... and I can't wait as he makes my next dream come true... which is "happily ever after"! Oh I just want to go to sleep and wake up in July '09!!!!

Joe, I love you and miss you so much! I know our great country and others are better today because of your service.



1 comment:

ellieshine said...

You made me cry . . . . give that veteran of yours a cyber hug from me!